Afriterra Maps CatalogWelcome to the Afriterra Foundation Online Catalog, documenting the early maps of Africa.
This site serves as both a gateway for discovery and a forum for sharing. You, the user community, serve as consumer and collaborator: interpreting, expanding, correcting, and connecting these rare images and data.
This database currently contains more than 2700 maps focused on Africa, more than 2500 high-resolution digitized images, and over 2000 unique Creators (a Creator or Contributor is a person or organization that contributed to the creation and/or publication of a map). Each Map is related to one or more Creators according to categories: Cartographers, Engravers, Publishers, and Other.
- Select Search Maps from the menu above to search for maps and the associated images by various criteria such as date, region, keyword, creator, etc.
- Select Search Contributors from the menu above to search for maps by a specific Creator.
- Select the Afriterra Home link above to view general information about the Afriterra Foundation and Library.
The primary objective of this effort is open access and we rely on your feedback to provide this service. Data entry is still a work in progress, and we invite all users to participate by providing any missing data and/or notifying us of errors. Please choose a level of engagement that will help move this effort forward:
- User Feedback: We welcome your dialog, questions, corrections, additions, comments, and requests for copies or prints.
- Expert Network: We are forming a rotation of content advisors for continuous quality review. Please let us know if you would like to participate as a Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Grant Partners: We have many critical needs and are actively seeking donations, grants, and partners to sustain these services and continue our developement of this catalog and the associated community forum.