Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 1567
Continent: Africa
Region: Central
Place Names: Angola, Loanda,
Year of Origin: 1645
Title: Loanda S. Pauli
Sub-Title:
Language: Latin
Publish Origin: Amsterdam
Height: 34.5
Width: 100.0
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Large
Scale:
Color Type: Full Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Cartographer: Joan-Johannes Blaeu
Engraver:
Publisher: F. Herckmanns
G Markgraf
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude: -8.8
Southernmost Latitude: -9.0
Westernmost Longitude: 13.1
Easternmost Longitude: 13.3
Measurement Notes: Greenwich Prime Meridian
Notes: Joppen; Coastal view of the island of Luanda (Angola). printed for Casper Barlaeus 'Rerum per Octennium in Brasilia Gestarum Historia'. The name Loanda means "flat land" as the island has no mountains and is comprised only of sand deposited by the Kwanza river. The island was colonized by the Portuguese in 1575 and became a major center for the slave trade. Between 1641 and 1648, the city was occupied by the Dutch, which is the period depicted here. Portuguese explorer Paulo Dias de Novais founded Luanda in 1575 as "São Paulo de Loanda". In 1618 the Portuguese built Fortaleza São Pedro da Barra fortress and in 1634 they built Fortaleza de São Miguel fortress. Luanda was Portuguese Angola's administrative center since 1627 with one exception. The Dutch ruled Luanda from 1640 to 1648 as Fort Aardenburgh. The city served as the center of a large slave trade to Brazil from c.1550 to 1836. Slave trade was mostly with the Portuguese colony of Brazil; Brazilian ships were the most numerous in the ports of Luanda and Benguela. A strong Brazilian influence was noted in Luanda until the Independence of Brazil in 1822. In the 19th century, still under Portuguese rule, Luanda experienced a major economic revolution. The slave trade was abolished in 1836, and in 1844 Angola's ports were opened to foreign shipping. By 1850, Luanda was one of the greatest and most developed Portuguese cities in the vast Portuguese Empire outside Mainland Portugal, full of trading companies, exporting (together with Benguela) palm and peanut oil, wax, copal, timber, ivory, cotton, coffee, and cocoa, among many other products. Maize, tobacco, dried meat and cassava flour also began to be produced locally. The Angolan bourgeoisie was born by this time. In 1889 Governor Brito Capelo opened the gates of an aqueduct which supplied the city with water, a formerly scarce resource, laying the foundation for major growth.
Last updated: Mar 3, 2009