Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 2336
Continent: Africa
Region: West
Place Names: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Year of Origin: 1851
Title: [Untitled, Panaramic view of Free town harbor, Sierra Leone]
Sub-Title:
Language: English
Publish Origin:
Height: 27.0
Width: 63.0
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Medium
Scale:
Color Type: Full Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Cartographer: Richard B.D. Dunning White
Engraver: Manuscript
Publisher:
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude: 8.5
Southernmost Latitude: 8.4
Westernmost Longitude: -13.3
Easternmost Longitude: -13.2
Measurement Notes: modern estimates
Notes: Source: ERIC WASCLE, WAYFARRER; date 1851. Watercolour and pencil on paper, ca. 27x63 cm (10 ? x 25 in), captioned in ink on verso "Sierra Leone, West C. Of Africa. 1851 by B.D. White Commander H.M.S. 'Cygnet'." [A very minor repair on the left side, otherwise a very good watercolour. A fine original watercolour painting by the Commander of the HMS Cygnet, Richard Dunning White showing a panoramic view of Freetown, the capital of British West Africa in 1808-1874, famous for its beautiful harbour which is recognized as one of the largest natural deep harbours in the world. Freetown "also served as the base for the Royal Navy's West Africa Squadron which was charged with halting the slave trade". HMS Cygnet (8-gun brig-sloop, launched in 1840) was also involved in suppressing the slave trade, and in 1850-53 under command of R.D. White served on the coast of West Africa. In 1851 the ship was in Sierra Leone (Index of 19th Century Naval Vessels) where its Commander drew this view of Freetown. Richard Dunning White, the youngest son of Admiral Thomas White, entered Navy in 1826 and for ten years served on the west coast of Africa (1843-53). At the time of the creation of this watercolour painting he was the Commander (since 1847). He retired in 1874 as Rear-Admiral and in 1881 became a Companion of the Bath. Another watercolour by R.D. White ("The Bombardment of St. Jean D'Acre," 1840) is now in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Last updated: Jun 1, 2014