Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 3224
Continent: Africa
Region: South
Place Names: Capetown, Cape Town, South Africa
Year of Origin: 1884
Title: Cape Town 1884
Sub-Title:
Language: English
Publish Origin: Cape Town
Height: 57.5
Width: 75.0
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Large
Scale: 1 : 7,250
Color Type: Full Color
Images of this map are not yet available.
Cartographer: W A Richards
Engraver:
Publisher:
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude: -33.88
Southernmost Latitude: -33.95
Westernmost Longitude: 18.36
Easternmost Longitude: 18.5
Measurement Notes: modern estimates
Notes: [ source Ruderman/Sommer and Sapunaru Germany] Published date 1885, drawn 1884, Artist: Richards WA and Sons ; - technic: Lithography; hand water-colored; condition: Missing parts on the left side perfectly restored, folded; size (in cm): 58 x 75,5 - description: Decorative city map of Cape town, depicting the city in 1884.The top of the map points more south than south west, unlike the more common convention of orientating to north in modern maps.Some of the things to note are the location of the Cape Town Station, the Sea Point Railway and the tramway from the Amsterdam Battery to the Standard Bank in Adderly Street. The Cape Town Station used to stand where one now finds the Golden Acre Shopping center, whilst the Goods Station was where today's Cape Town Station is.The earliest known remnants in the region were found at Peers cave in Fish Hoek and date to between 15,000 and 12,000 years ago.Little is known of the history of the region's first residents, since there is no written history from the area before it was first mentioned by Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias in 1486. Vasco da Gama recorded a sighting of the Cape of Good Hope in 1497. In the late 16th century, Portuguese, French, Danish, Dutch and English ships regularly stopped over in Table Bay en route to the Indies. They traded tobacco, copper and iron with the Khoikhoi in exchange for fresh meat. In 1652, Jan van Riebeeck and other employees of the Dutch East India Company were sent to the Cape to establish a way-station for ships travelling to the Dutch East Indies, and the Fort de Goede Hoop (later replaced by the Castle of Good Hope). Bookseller Inventory # AF0340_500
Last updated: Aug 24, 2017