Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
Number: 3256
Continent: Africa
Region: West
Place Names: Benin, Whidah, Whydah, Ouidah, Whydah, Juda, Juida, Ajuda, Fort Sao Joao Baptista,
Year of Origin: 1787
Title: [1st engraving] Procession of the People of WHIDAH to present offerings to the Grand Snake; [2nd engraving] Ceremonies used a the Coronation of the King of WHIDAH, on the Slave Coast
Sub-Title: [upper margin] Engraved for Bankes's New System of Geograaphy Published by Royal Authority.
Language: English
Publish Origin: London
Height: 12.0
Width: 17.5
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Small
Color Type: No Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Engraver: Wooding
Publisher: Thomas Bankes
Other Contributors: Edward Warren Blake
Alexander Cook
Northernmost Latitude: 6.38
Southernmost Latitude: 6.36
Westernmost Longitude: 2.06
Easternmost Longitude: 2.08
Measurement Notes: modern estimates
Notes: [ref.DIMAMBRO]; from "A New, Royal, Authentic and Complete System of Universal Geography, Ancient and Modern: Including All the Late Important Discoveries Made by the English, and Other Celebrated Navigators . History and Description of the Whole World. Likewise the Essence of the Voyages of the Most Enterprising Navigators." Benin slave trade site; Snake coronation ceremony, Ouidah, historically also called Whydah, Juda, Juida by the French and Ajuda by the Portuguese, formally the Kingdom of Whydah (so named for the Whydah Bird of Paradise), is a city on the coast of the Republic of Benin; The Fort of Sao Joao Baptista de Ajuda (in English Fort of St. John the Baptist of Ouidah) is a small fortress built by the Portuguese in Ouidah on the coast of Dahomey (originally Ajuda, from Hweda, on the Atlantic coast of modern Benin), reached by the Portuguese in 1580, after which it grew around the slave trade, for which the Slave Coast was already renowned. In 1680 the Portuguese governor of Sao Tome and Pr?cipe was authorized to erect a fort. In 1721, after having been abandoned for some years, it was reconstructed and named Sao Joao Baptista de Ajuda.The Fort, built on land given to Portugal by King Haffon of Whydah, remained under Portuguese control from 1721 until 1961.
Last updated: Dec 9, 2018