Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 338
Continent: Africa
Region: West
Place Names:
Year of Origin: 1690
Title: Effigies ampli Regni auriferi Guineae in Africa siti, extensum inde ab. insulis Atlanticis, vulgo dictis, de Cabo Verde: ad flumen Benin usque, ad cujus ripam sita est Regia urbs et magna Benin, atque inde ad promontorium Lopi Gonsalvi, delineata per S. Rovelascum, et politioribuslineamentis figurata per Lodovicum Texeram, protocosmographum Regis Hispaniarum, Eodem anno editus est liber, amplam harum regionum descriptionem continens per P.D.M.
Sub-Title:
Language: Latin
Publish Origin: Amsterdam
Height:
Width:
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Medium
Scale:
Color Type: Full Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Cartographer: Luis Teixeira
S. Rovelasco
Engraver:
Publisher: Caroli Allard
Hugo Allard, Sr.
Other Contributors: Cornelius Claesz
Baptista van Doetecum
Pieter de Marees
Northernmost Latitude:
Southernmost Latitude:
Westernmost Longitude:
Easternmost Longitude:
Notes: sotheby3/95 two copies, one framed;The title cartouche attributes the map to an earlier manuscript sketched by Francisco Revelasco and drafted by Luis Teixeira ca. 1600; Teixeira was an important cartographer during the Iberian Union (1580-1640). The title reads in translation from the original Latin: Depiction of the expansive and gold-rich kingdom of Guinea in Africa, which stretches from the Atlantic islands popularly called the Cape Verde Islands to the river in Benin on which the great and royal city of Benin lies, and from there to the promontory of Lopez Gonsalvez, drawn by S. Rovelasco and executed in fine line by Ludovicus Texera [Luis Teixeira], chief cosmographer to the Spanish King. A book with an extensive depiction of these regions was published in the same year by P.D.M. [Pieter de Marees] Based on reports and testimony from travelers like the merchant Menda Motta, the map shows a densely detailed coastline filled with rivers, fishing villages, great cities in Benin and Biafra, as well as what are referred to as castles?fortified positions from which Europeans traded with the interior according to rules largely set by local rulers. originally from the larger format 47 x 61 cm, by Texeira and engraved by van Deutecom c1602 and c1650 for an edition of Pieter de Marees' 'Beschrijvinge van Guinea'; The title cartouche attributes the map to an earlier manuscript sketched by Francisco Revelasco and drafted by Luis Teixeira ca. 1600; Teixeira was an important cartographer during the Iberian Union (1580-1640). The title reads in translation from the original Latin: Depiction of the expansive and gold-rich kingdom of Guinea in Africa, which stretches from the Atlantic islands popularly called the Cape Verde Islands to the river in Benin on which the great and royal city of Benin lies, and from there to the promontory of Lopez Gonsalvez, drawn by S. Rovelasco and executed in fine line by Ludovicus Texera [Luis Teixeira], chief cosmographer to the Spanish King. A book with an extensive depiction of these regions was published in the same year by P.D.M. [Pieter de Marees] Based on reports and testimony from travelers like the merchant Menda Motta, the map shows a densely detailed coastline filled with rivers, fishing villages, great cities in Benin and Biafra, as well as what are referred to as castles?fortified positions from which Europeans traded with the interior according to rules largely set by local rulers. One of the first of these was erected by the Portuguese in 1482; it is known as Mina (or Elmina) and is located on the Gold Coast in what is today Ghana. European castles, controlled variously by the Portuguese, Dutch, English, French, German principalities, Danes, and Swedes, dot the coastline, but that is where their influence, and geographic knowledge, stopped. To hide the lack of knowledge of and power over inland Africa, this map is augmented with two vignettes depicting scenes from the Gulf of Guinea region. They are framed in handsome strapwork. To the right is a procession of nobles entering the city of Benin, while to the left is a scene showing traditional music and dance. These embellishments are joined by three grand thirty-two-point compass roses (and one sixteen-point half rose) placed in the Atlantic. Two large European ships patrol the waters, as does a stately sea monster. Both the title cartouche (right) and the scale (lower left) are framed in rich strapwork. Sources for the map The original manuscript upon which this map is based is credited to Luis Teixeira. Teixeira was one of the most prominent members of a famous family of Portuguese mapmakers. The family was headed by Pero Fernandes (two known charts from ca. 1525 and 1528), father of Luis Teixeira, Marcos Fernandes Teixeira, and (most likely) Domingos Teixeira. Luis has two cartographer sons of his own, Jo? Teixeira Albernaz I and Pedro Teixeira Albernaz. Luis has thirty-five charts attributed to him. While his place and date of birth are unknown, Luis took an exam to gain permission to make navigational charts in 1564. A permit from 1569 survives, detailing that Luis was responsible to providing the royal fleets with charts and instruments. He is also known for his surveys of Brazil and the Azores and a significant map of Japan. His reputation preceded him; he was admired by Abraham Ortelius and Jodocus Hondius in the Low Countries and Spanish officials (Portugal and Spain were united administratively from 1580 to 1640, which is why he is listed as a cosmographer for Spain in the title of this map). Little is known about Francisco Revelasco beyond his work on this map. Revelasco and Teixeira created the manuscript version of this map ca. 1600. States of the map The map was originally intended to be published in 1602 in Pieter de Marees's Beschryvinge ende Historische wtrhael rtnt Gout koninckrijck tan Gunea, andres de Goutczete de Mina genaemt (Amsterdam, 1602). However, no known copy of this first printed state survives. The map was engraved by Dutch mapmaker Baptist van Deutecum and released in ca. 1650 (not before ca. 1643) by Hugo Allard. This is a later edition re-issued by Hugo Allard's son, Carol. Rarity OCLC lists four institutional examples of this map (Harvard, Oxford, the British Library, the University of Amsterdam). ref. Schilder Monumenta Cartographica VII, 12.5
Last updated: Sep 12, 2021