Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 3516
Continent: Africa
Region: West
Place Names: Senegal
Year of Origin: 1759
Title: Lauf Des Flusses Sanaga Oder Senegal von seiner Mundung an bis an das Eyland Bilbas
Sub-Title:
Language: German
Publish Origin: Nuremberg
Height: 20.7
Width: 35.4
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Medium
Scale:
Color Type: Outline Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Cartographer:
Engraver:
Publisher: Gabriel Nikolaus Raspe
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude:
Southernmost Latitude:
Westernmost Longitude:
Easternmost Longitude:
Notes: [Source Potter] Green wash/outline color; Includes inset plans of St. Louis Island and of its fort and settlement. Published in Raspe's 'Schau Platz des gegenwaertigen Kriegs' (Plates illustrating the Current Wars), from a collection of battle- and siege- plans relating to the Seven Years War; The map was prepared following the conclusion of the Seven Year War, when the British captured Senegal and Fort Saint-Louis. Saint-Louis Island, Senegal A Wolof settlement at what is now known as Guet Ndar dates from around 1450 and was a meeting and departure point for Muslim pilgrims traveling to Mecca in Arabia. Portuguese, Dutch, and English traders visited the area over the next two centuries but the first nearby colonial fortification was erected by the French in 1638 on Bocas Island. Repeated flooding prompted the removal of the fort to the island known to locals as Ndar in 1659. The island was uninhabited at the time, supposedly because the local people believed it to be haunted by spirits. The Diagne of Sor, the local leader, permitted French settlement on the island for annual payments of "three pieces of blue cloth, a measure of scarlet cloth, seven long iron bars, and 10 pints of eau de vie." The fortification permitted a French factory to command foreign trade along the Senegal River. Slaves, hides, beeswax, ambergris and, later, gum Arabic were exported. During the Seven Years' War, British forces captured Senegal in 1758. In February 1779, French forces recaptured Saint-Louis. In the late 18th century, Saint-Louis had about 5,000 inhabitants, not counting an indeterminate number of slaves in transit. Between 1659 and 1779, nine chartered companies succeeded one another in administering Saint-Louis. As in Gor?, a Franco-African Creole, or M?is, merchant community characterized by the famous "signares", or bourgeois women entrepreneurs, grew up in Saint-Louis during the 17th and 18th centuries.
Last updated: Aug 31, 2021