Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 3816
Continent: Africa
Region: East
Place Names: Mogadishu, Somalia
Year of Origin: 1914
Title: (Africa Orientale - Benadir) Angoraggio Di Mogadiscio. Rilievi eseguiti dalle R. Navi 'Staffetta' Comandante Salazar, Capitano di Vascello 1911
Sub-Title: No. 327
Language: Italian
Publish Origin: Genoa
Height: 46.8
Width: 58.1
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Medium
Scale: 1 : 8,000
Color Type: No Color
Images of this map are not yet available.
Cartographer: Comandante E. Salazar
Engraver:
Publisher: M. Giavotto
Hydrographic Office of the Italian Navy
Real Istituto Idrografico
Ufficio Idrografico Della Regia Marina
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude: 2.06
Southernmost Latitude: 2.04
Westernmost Longitude: 45.25
Easternmost Longitude: 45.35
Measurement Notes: modern estimates
Notes: [Dasa Pahor, Alex Johnson source] Zincograph; This is the extremely rare first edition of the first scientific sea chart of the Mogadishu area, and one of the only early printed maps to show the Somali capital in detail. The map showcases copious hydrographic information, but its highlight is its depiction the 9th-10th century city, with its two parts, ?Cingani? and ?Amaruini?, with their dense warren of streets, punctuated only by the newly constructed Italian main square, by the ?Palazzo Gobierno?. The Italians would later lay out Mogadishu?s suburbs along a rational grid pattern, in sharp contrast to the traditional local urban style. The hinterland is dotted with religious sites and just up the coast, is the ?Campo Ascari?, a military base. While Italy commenced its colonial presence in Somalia in the 1880s, formally founding Somalia Italiana in 1889, it was not until some years later that it gained firm control of much of the notoriously unruly country. Mogadishu became the capital of the colony in 1905, and quickly experienced rapid infrastructure and economic development. The present chart was made by teams working under Commander Salazar of the Italian Navy in 1911, and was first published in Genoa in 1914, on the eve of World War I. It was heavily revised and republished in 1934, and during World War II was copied by the British, who printed their own edition in Nairobi in 1941. All editions of chart are extremely rare. We cannot race the current whereabouts of another example of the present 1914 edition, although some examples are surely housed in some hard-to-access Italian state archives; we can locate only a couple examples of the 1934 edition. References: Carlo TRAVERSI, Storia della cartografia coloniale italiana (1964), p. 49; Annali Idrografici raccolta di documenti e notizie circa l'Idrografia e la Navigazione (1913), p. 237. Cf. (re: 1934 ed.) Biblioteca Attilio Mori (Firenze): IT\ICCU\CFI\0995520;
Last updated: Nov 15, 2020