Map Details      Question or Comment about this Map?
 
Number: 3994
Continent: Africa
Region: West
Place Names: Axim, Fort St. Anthony, Ghana
Year of Origin: 1732
Title: THE PROSPECT OF THE FORT ST. ANTHONY, AT AXIM....[upper margin] Vol. V. Plate L .......Pag. 149
Sub-Title:
Language: English
Publish Origin: London
Height: 22.9
Width: 34.3
Units: centimeters
Size Class.: Medium
Scale:
Color Type: No Color
Click for high-resolution zoomable image
Cartographer:
Engraver: John Kip
Publisher: Awnsham and John Churchill
Other Contributors:
Northernmost Latitude: 4.87
Southernmost Latitude: 4.86
Westernmost Longitude: -2.25
Easternmost Longitude: -2.23
Measurement Notes: modern estimates
Notes: [Curtis Wright source] Slave trade fort Originally built by the Portuguese in the early 16th century, Fort St. Anthony was situated at a geographically strategic location on a rocky outcropping near the West African town of Axim. The fortress was captured by the Dutch in 1642, and they continued to use it as a trading post (especially for the export of gold, slaves, ivory, and pepper), a refitting station, and military outpost until relinquished to the British in the mid-19th century. This view was engraved by Johannes Kip and published in the 1732 edition of the Churchill brothers epic six part travelogue, ?A collection of voyages and travels.? The fortified citadel perched atop the rocks, while the squat buildings of the town (labeled ?the Negro?s Town? in the legend, upper left) are shown huddled along the shoreline. Sailing ships flying the Dutch flag and native canoes can be seen plying the dangerous waters. A rock in the foreground was successfully used as a battery by Admiral Ruyter to bombard the Portuguese and force them into capitulation.
Last updated: Apr 29, 2022